Town set to appeal after dismissal

Last Updated: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 18:44

Huddersfield caretaker boss Mark Lillis is set to appeal against the dismissal of centre-back Murray Wallace during the 1-1 draw against Charlton.

Wallace was given a straight red card by referee Tim Robinson on the stroke of half-time for bringing down Igor Vetokele, who was through on goal in the Sky Bet Championship clash.

Lillis said: "I think it was a bit harsh. Joel Lynch was there so he is not the last man and I think we will appeal.

"I was disappointed with that decision and a few other decisions the referee made for both sides."

Town were denied a penalty a minute from time when sub James Vaughan went down under challenge from Tal Ben Haim. Robinson waved away the appeals - and Lillis believed the official got that wrong too.

"Anywhere else on the pitch and it's a free-kick," he said. "Vaughan was barged.

"The referee will be assessed and he will know if he has made the right decisions. We've got a point and we move on."

Young Charlton goalkeeper Nick Pope, who conceded a goal through his legs on debut against Derby last time out, started in shaky fashion and almost gifted one to Nahki Wells.

However, he grew in confidence to make a brilliant save from Harry Bunn and keep out a Lee Peltier header.

Wallace was dismissed just before the break and Town, with 10 men, pressed on from the restart, taking the lead through Wells in the 50th minute.

Tommy Smith crossed for the unmarked former Bradford striker to slot home his fourth goal of the season.

Pope produced another great stop from Vaughan to keep the Addicks in the game - and deep into stoppage time a free-kick was headed on by Andre Bikey and Vetokele stabbed home to continue Charlton's unbeaten start to the season.

Lillis said: "It was a disappointing end to the game but when you are down to 10 men at half-time it's not a bad result. It's a kick in the teeth but I was so proud of the players."

Lillis, who took over after the departure of Mark Robins, said he expected to remain in charge for Tuesday's Capital One Cup tie against Nottingham Forest.

"I am enjoying it," he said. "I know the club has interviewed some candidates but nothing has been said directly to me so I carry on.

"I expect to be still in charge on Tuesday but things in football can change with a phone call.

"Although I'm only the caretaker I think the fans can see some passion and good football and whoever comes in will inherit a good set of young players.

"I am so proud of how the players have responded and it's given the board a bit of time."

Addicks boss Bob Peeters admitted his players got out of jail and said: "We are happy to remain unbeaten but Huddersfield did very well. If anyone deserved to win this game it was Huddersfield.

"I thought it was a sending off because he was through. They might say there were two men covering but the referee has made a decision. If anything it made the game more difficult for us.

"They threw everything at us for 10 or 15 minutes at the start of the second half and we got nervous and stopped playing the ball.

"But I am happy with the way we kept on fighting. It is all about getting the result and we got it.

"Expectations change. Last season everybody thought they could beat Charlton. Now everybody wants to beat us."

Have you an opinion on this story? Put your money where your mouth is and claim a free £25 bet.

Related news

Golbourne fit for Wolves

Fri, 23 Jan 2015 09:15

Luzon given all-clear

Thu, 22 Jan 2015 13:37

Velijkovic joins Addicks

Tue, 20 Jan 2015 16:06

Addicks target January additions

Mon, 19 Jan 2015 12:13

Jokanovic salutes team display

Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:06

Five-star Hornets thump Addicks

Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:02

Luzon's Addicks debut delayed

Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:12

Hornets wait on Gomes

Fri, 16 Jan 2015 09:05

Luzon happy to go back for more

Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:25

Luzon named Charlton coach

Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:33
© 2010