Home > Football > England > Premiership > Hull City 

Pardew ban could have been longer

Last Updated: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 13:27
Hull%20City

Alan Pardew could have been handed a five-match stadium ban and a bigger fine for his head-butt on Hull midfielder David Meyler.

The independent regulatory commission before which Pardew appeared on March 11 released the written reasons for its decision on Wednesday, and revealed that its punishment might have been more severe.

Pardew was ultimately handed a three-match stadium ban and four more from the touchline, as well as a £60,000 fine.

But the commission said: "In considering the sanction to be imposed, the commission considered initially a five-match stadium ban and a higher fine.

"But, based on the mitigation presented together with the action taken by both the club and Mr Pardew, the regulatory commission came to the conclusion that the appropriate sanction set out below was fair, reasonable and proportionate and thus ordered as follows: Mr Pardew be warned as to his future conduct; be suspended immediately until such time as Newcastle United FC has completed seven first team matches. The first three matches imposed are a stadium ban with the remaining four a touchline ban from first team fixtures; Mr Pardew is fined the sum of £60,000."

Pardew, who served the first game of his stadium ban at Fulham last Saturday, was accompanied by legal counsel, club secretary Lee Charnley and Richard Bevan, chief executive of the League Managers' Association, at the hearing.

He had admitted the charge and later revealed he was prepared to accept whatever penalty came his way.

In mitigation, the Magpies manager, who had already been fined £100,000 by his club, argued that he did not instigate the altercation with Meyler and meant no physical harm to the player, and had expressed his remorse.

He also signalled his intention to enrol on an executive leadership and management programme with the LMA in an effort to address his behaviour.

The commission, who took into account previous offences, viewed video footage of the incident and considered written reports from match referee Kevin Friend, his assistant John Flynn and fourth official Howard Webb before reaching its conclusion.

It said: "The commission also considered the impact of this type of incident in football in general and could not escape from the fact that a vast number of people would have seen the incident on national and international television.

"Bluntly, Mr Pardew had little option but to admit the charge and to apologise accordingly.

"Mr Pardew is a high-profile and very experienced manager at a high-profile and well-respected club in a high profile league and where matches are watched worldwide.

"This is, on any view, a serious incident which has to be sanctioned accordingly, but at the same time proportionately."

Have you an opinion on this story? Put your money where your mouth is and claim a free £25 bet.

Related news

Hernandez eyes bright future

Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:17

Boro star on Tigers radar

Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:06

Diame happy to open account

Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:24

Bruce pleased with Hernandez debut

Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:05

New boys set to figure

Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:13

Ben Arfa sidelined by Toon - Bruce

Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:19

Bruce appeals to fans for calm

Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:47

Bruce feels for under-fire Pardew

Sun, 14 Sep 2014 10:06

British players overpriced - Bruce

Sun, 14 Sep 2014 17:24

Bruce buoyed by transfer business

Sat, 13 Sep 2014 13:16
 
© eatsleepsport.com 2010