Last Updated: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:53
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez admits he was surprised by Arsenal's £30million bid for his services but takes it as a huge compliment.
The Reds rejected the Gunners' offer last week but agent Pere Guardiola told managing director Ian Ayre and manager Brendan Rodgers at a meeting on Monday that his client wanted Champions League football.
Arsenal can offer that, though they would have to substantially increase their bid as Liverpool insist they do not want to sell Suarez.
The player's comments last month about disliking his treatment by the English media make a move to London improbable but the 26-year-old was heartened by the interest.
Since his arrival in England in January 2011 he has been banned for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra, castigated for diving and is only four matches into a 10-game suspension for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in April.
"One has to value that despite everything that's happened one is still in the market... that clubs still value players for what they can do on the field," he said about Arsenal's bid.
"That makes me think that I can come back and do things well over there.
"They (the press) have given it to me in England but, like we say, I've given them stuff to eat because if I hadn't done anything then probably they wouldn't have been as bad.
"But football is like that and you have to be accustomed to all that and it's good that the English clubs still want me."
Have you an opinion on this story? Put your money where your mouth is and claim a free £25 bet.